Our intent is to ensure children to participate in a variety of musical experiences and appreciate different forms of music. We aim to build up the confidence of all children through the progression of study. We aim for children to leave Year 6 with a solid understanding of the music curriculum. We aim that children have a broad understanding of music around the world and how this is embedded in different cultures.
We implement music through:
- The use of a specialist music teacher working across school
- A progressive curriculum, that builds on children's prior knowledge and skills
- Teaching that focuses on developing the children’s ability to understand rhythm and follow a beat. Children develop descriptive language skills in music lessons when learning about how music can represent different feelings, emotions and narratives.
- Having the highest expectations of our children. This enables them to explore technical vocabulary such as volume, pitch, beat and rhythm
- Providing children with opportunities to perform in front of their peers and wider audiences.
- Creative and innovative teaching, which allows all children to have an opportunity to access high quality music and singing lessons with a specialist music teacher
- Links made with Class and whole school projects when possible
The impact of our Music curriculum is children:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Are confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge of music
- Feel uplifted and unified when performing music as part of a group
- Develop control over the use of the voice
- Have confidence and fulfilment that comes with achievement and participation in music and performance
Curriculum by Year groups