Our intent for PE is that we strive in delivering outstanding PE that allows pupils to be physically active, thrive in a broad range of physical activities and engage in competitive sports in a safe and challenging environment.
Our intent for PE is for children to:
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- A good level of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- High levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE, with a willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
We implement this by:
- Creative and innovative planning that ensures consistency in teaching throughout school and challenge for all
- Investing in the School Sports Partnership to allow all pupils to participate in competitions with local schools
- Investing in highly specialist PE teachers to work alongside teachers, ensuring teacher remain up-skilled by providing them with a wealth of fun and innovative teaching ideas
- Providing opportunities for sporting professionals to visit the pupils and inspire them by sharing their achievements
- Sports Leaders promoting positive attitudes towards PE and motivating their peers into becoming passionate, respectful young sportspeople by setting up daily activities for all to enjoy each break time.
The impact of our PE approach is that children:
- Make outstanding progress in PE and enjoy participating in sport
- Are physically active
- Understand the importance of exercise and a healthy lifestyle
- Have increased confidence in a range of sports
- Experience a variety of sports including: archery and new age curling.
- Talk confidently about PE and their learning